THE AGRANA FRUIT SUSTAINABILITY AMBITION
It’s our humanistic duty to protect our planet, and AGRANA Fruit takes that duty to heart. We’re continually implementing substantial improvements to ensure we operate more sustainably.
We’ve set ambitious, companywide goals that are tangible, realistic and in alignment with our short-term and long-term environmental responsibilities.
We make decisions that go beyond what’s best for our company. Our products are also made with a selfless concern for our planet, as well as our communities.
OUR SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
ENVIRONMENTAL COMMITMENTS AND TARGETS
We will become a carbon neutral business by 2050 across our entire value chain.
- Reduce energy consumption by 5% in our operations by maximising the efficiency of our processes and preserving resources by 2025.
- Achieve carbon neutrality across our operations by 2040.
- Achieve carbon neutrality across our entire value chain by 2050.
We will continue to protect water as a fundamental natural resource for all people.
- Reduce water consumption by 5% in our operations by maximising the efficiency of our processes and preserving resources by 2025.
- Implement effective water risk management practices and preventive actions in our supply chain in line with climate scenario analysis by 2030.
We will continue to protect and enhance biodiversity and soil health in our value chain by establishing Regenerative Agriculture practices as a standard for the fruit industry.
- Develop a Regenerative Agriculture Framework for 3 fruit types by 2025.
- Lead pilot projects and promote Regenerative Agriculture practices by 2030.
- Double our contribution to biodiversity habitat regeneration each year until 2030.
We will continue to develop solutions that reduce food loss and waste in our operations and across our value chain.
- Achieve zero waste to landfill by 2025.
- Contribute to halving food loss and waste by 2030 by actively supporting the 10X20X30 initiative.
- Make 100% of our packaging circular by 2030.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR
of electricity used in AGRANA Fruit in 2021|22 is renewable
reduction of waste to landfill across all AGRANA Fruit sites since 2019|20
reduction of water consumption at AGRANA Fruit Poland due to closing the open water cooling circuit
single use plastic packaging for products delivered to customers in France, Germany and Poland
SOCIAL COMMITMENTS AND TARGETS
We will ensure that all our fruit are sustainably and transparently sourced. We will make sustainable fruit accessible to a growing number of consumers.
- Trace 100% of our fruit and sugar back to farmers by 2025.
- Achieve 32% FSA Silver or equivalent fruit by 2026 and 100% by 2040.
- Have all our fruit suppliers registered on SEDEX by 2025.
- Develop and implement decision guidelines for sustainable purchasing by 2025.
We will guarantee our employees a safe, fulfilling and inclusive place to work.
- Decrease the lost day rate to 10,5 and the injury rate to 0,8 by 2025.
- Have all our operations registered on SEDEX and audited against the social standard by 2025.
- Strengthen our culture of sustainability amongst employees through tangible local actions by 2025.
OUR SOCIAL ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR
of AGRANA Fruit managers were female in 2021|22
of raw materials (volume based) were sourced sustainably* in 2021|22
of our fruit (volume based) was sourced from SEDEX compliant suppliers in 2021|22
* Sustainable sourcing is an integral part of AGRANA Fruit’s strategy. We want to ensure visibility of where our raw materials come from and how they are produced while also promoting ethical, social, and environmental sustainability in our supply chain. We guarantee that the sustainable raw materials we source have been produced in accordance with our sustainability principles as outlined in AGRANA’s General Principles for the Procurement of Agricultural Raw Materials and Intermediate Products.
AGRANA FRUIT AND AGRANA GROUP MEMBERSHIPS
AGRANA Fruit USA
Reducing waste through reusable packaging
AGRANA Fruit USA is keenly aware of the waste and pollution that is generated from packaging, specifically single use plastic and other materials that negatively impact the environment. Stainless steel totes are one of the foundational elements of our business that support our commitment to Reuse, Reduce and Recycle. All stainless-steel totes are reused, and the majority are in service for decades. We are thrilled that our packaging of choice plays a role in positively impacting environmental waste and pollution.
Partnering for environmental and social impact
We recognize the importance of partnering with organizations that work solely towards elevating and improving environmental and social concerns. The expertise, commitment and passion they bring to their work inspires and motivates us to help make the world a better place now and in the future. We are proud to work with FairTrade and highly-value our partnerships with EcoVadis and SEDEX.
LEED Silver certified facility
Our newest fruit preparation plant located just outside Syracuse in Lysander, NY is a LEED (silver) certified facility. Sustainable construction, building and design was a top priority, therefore obtaining the LEED certification was identified early on. As we continue to grow and expand in the United States, we are committed to incorporating similar programs into our planning process.